WPTavern: HeroPress Partners With WPShout to Offer WordPress Education Scholarships
HeroPress has teamed up with Alex Denning, Fred Meyer, and David Hayes of WPShout to offer 10 copies of Up and Running Second Edition at the deluxe tier. The deluxe tier is valued at $249 and includes everything the course has to offer including video tutorials, creating a theme and child theme, screencast series, creating a WordPress plugin, and more.
The scholarship applications are geared towards three groups of people:
- Those in financial hardship (unemployment, jobseeking, students or underemployment).
- Those in low-income countries without the means to purchase the course.
- Under-represented groups in tech and the WordPress community, including but not limited to:
- Transgender applicants
- BAME applicants
Those who qualify have until May 9th to fill out the application. Five members of the WordPress community make up a panel that will review the applications and choose 10 recipients who they feel are deserving of the award. HeroPress will then tally the selections and those with the most votes will be awarded a scholarship. In case of a tie, HeroPress will be the deciding vote. The five panelists are:
- Maedah Batool (Creative Director at WPTie, Pakistan).
- Ana Silva (Digital Marketer at Human Made, UK).
- Winstina Hughes (Co-Organizer, WordCamp New York).
- Rahul Bansal (CEO at rtCamp, India)
- Pippin Williamson (Founder at Pippin’s Plugins, USA).
Pippin Williamson, founder of Easy Digital Downloads, says he accepted the panelist role because it’s an opportunity to make a significant difference in someone’s life.
HeroPress, founded by Topher DeRosia in 2015, publishes an essay every Wednesday from members of the community on how WordPress has positively impacted their lives. HeroPress has published essays from people in the Middle East, Oceania, Central and South America, and other parts of the world.
To learn the HeroPress story, listen to our interview with DeRosia. In it, he explains his motivation for creating the site and shares a personal story of someone who couldn’t write an essay because they were spending all of their time trying to stay alive.
To learn more about Up and Running Second Edition, listen to our interview with the founders where they explain how and why they created the course.