Last Updated: 20th Sep 2017
Dev Blog: WordPress 4.7.3 Security and Maintenance Release
WordPress 4.7.3 is now available. This is a security release for all previous versions and we strongly encourage you to update your sites immediately.
WordPress versions 4.7.2 and earlier are affected by six¬†security issues:
- Cross-site scripting (XSS) via¬†media file metadata. ¬†Reported by Chris Andr√® Dale, Yorick Koster,¬†and Simon P. Briggs.
- Control characters can trick redirect URL validation. ¬†Reported by Daniel Chatfield.
- Unintended¬†files can be deleted by administrators using the plugin deletion functionality. ¬†Reported by xuliang.
- Cross-site scripting (XSS) via¬†video URL in YouTube embeds. ¬†Reported by Daniel Cid.
- Cross-site scripting (XSS) via taxonomy term names. ¬†Reported by Delta.
- Cross-site request forgery (CSRF) in Press This leading to excessive use of server¬†resources. ¬†Reported by Sipke Mellema.
Thank you to the¬†reporters for practicing responsible disclosure.
Download WordPress 4.7.3¬†or venture over to Dashboard ‚Üí Updates and simply click ‚ÄúUpdate Now.‚ÄĚ Sites that support automatic background updates are already beginning to update to WordPress 4.7.3.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to 4.7.3: Aaron D. Campbell, Adam Silverstein, Alex Concha, Andrea Fercia, Andrew Ozz, asalce, blobfolio, bonger, Boone Gorges, Boro Sitnikovski, Brady Vercher, Brandon Lavigne, Bunty, ccprog, chetansatasiya, David A. Kennedy, David Herrera, Dhanendran, Dion Hulse, Dominik Schilling (ocean90), Drivingralle, Ella Van Dorpe, Gary Pendergast, Ian Dunn, Ipstenu (Mika Epstein), James Nylen, jazbek, Jeremy Felt, Jeremy Pry, Joe Hoyle, Joe McGill, John Blackbourn, John James Jacoby, Jonathan Desrosiers, Kelly Dwan, Marko Heijnen, MatheusGimenez, Mike Nelson, Mike Schroder, Muhammet Arslan, Nick Halsey, Pascal Birchler, Paul Bearne, pavelevap, Peter Wilson, Rachel Baker, reldev, Robert O‚ÄôRourke, Ryan Welcher, Sanket Parmar, Sean Hayes, Sergey Biryukov, Stephen Edgar, triplejumper12, Weston Ruter, and wpfo.